About the Archives

SONY DSC

Location and Hours of the Archives
The Indiana State Archives is located at 6440 E. 30th St. Free parking is available at the front of the building.

The State Archives is open from 9:00 to 4:00, Monday through Friday. It is closed on election days, weekends and federal and state holidays. The State Archives mailing address is:

Indiana State Archives
6440 E. 30th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46219
Telephone 317-591-5222   Email: arc@iara.in.gov

Plan your Visit

The last decade has seen a tremendous growth in the use of the collections due to the development of searchable databases available on the Indiana Digital Archives.   Researchers often find many ancestors listed in the digital indices. Some of these indices are complete transcriptions of the records. Others will lead you to files, photographs, and  genealogical gold mines held in the Archives. Researchers may submit requests for research by mail, fax, email, or visit in-person. If you are planning a visit to the Archives, please email staff at arc@iara.in.gov with the nature of your request and records you would like to see, and the staff will make every effort to have records ready for you, eliminating your wait time. When possible please email a day or so in advance, allowing staff time to read and respond to your email. You will receive a confirmation when records are waiting for you in the hold area.

Patrons

Private citizens conducting genealogical, environmental, and academic research make up approximately 70 percent of Archives patrons. The remaining 30 percent are state, county, and federal employees.

Collections
The Indiana State Archives is the permanent repository for important records of state and local governments. Its holdings include approximately 38,000 cubic feet of records dating from the territorial period to the present.

Major collections begin with the records of the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial branches of government from 1785 to the present. These include papers of every governor; bills, acts, and reports of the General Assembly; and case files of both the Supreme and Appellate Courts.

Military records include holdings from the Battle of Tippecanoe, War of 1812, Black Hawk War, Mexican War, Civil War, Spanish American War, World Wars I and II, Korea, and Viet Nam.

The Archives has records of the General Land Office for Indiana, including tract books and the original plats and field notes made by federal surveyors. The Archives is the office of record for state lands such as Wabash and Erie Canal, Michigan Road, and Swamp Lands.

Over 100,000 aerial photographs are in the Archives, including some of the earliest ever taken in Indiana. Other significant photograph collections include the Indiana State Fair, the Department of Natural Resources, the Department of Corrections, and the Indianapolis Board of Public Safety.

The Archives has the 1820-1880 federal censuses of agriculture and manufacturers for Indiana, as well as substantial collections from more than 500 state agencies and 92 counties. Among these are incorporation papers and election returns from the Secretary of State’s Office, annual reports filed by railroads and public utilities, individual patient and inmate records from state institutions dating back to 1822, and important records for the history of health and welfare, education, crime, and the environment.

For more information on the Archives visit www.in.gov/iara

Frequently accessed records
Civil War
Military service records
Aerial Photographs
State hospitals
Correctional facilities
State schools and homes
Naturalizations
First Land sales and survey records
State Agencies
General Assembly
Governors’ papers
Supreme and Appellate Courts
County Records
Hoosier Homestead Awards
Dissolved corporations
State Fair